As we all know the WordPress default login URL is “/wp-login.php” or “/wp-admin” which redirects the user to Admin login page. For example http://www.example.com/wp-login.php. So it is very easy for hackers to destroy your dreams within minutes, hours or maybe in some days depending on the hacker’s skills.
All we need to make secure our websites and should take the necessary steps as soon as possible. In the default WordPress website installation, it is very easy to know the platform, running theme, user login address (URL) and much more with have used some software/tools and even with using any tool.
There are 3 reasons you should care about our WordPress website security. (This tutorial is especially for beginners)
- It is very easy for hackers to tell if any website is a WordPress website but inspecting the page’s source and can see like /wp-content/themes/style.css and /wp-content/plugins/ etc. Once someone knows your site is a WordPress site, it’s very easy to know that your login Address is /wp-login or /wp-admin
- You should also know that by default WordPress creates an “admin” username. Now Hacker has your login address login username. Only one step is remaining which is guessing your password.
- Even if you have changed “admin” username and you are using a strong password the hacker will just keep trying and will waste your server’s resources and could cause taking down your site.
You May Also Read:- Earn Online as a Columnist
Let’s talk about “How to change WordPress default login URL”
The short and very sweet answer is to install, activate and configure the WPS Hide Login WordPress plugin.
- WPS Hide Login Plugin is quite easy to configure.
- Install and activate the plugin
- Go to setting/General Settings
- At the end of the page, you will find “Login URL” and “Redirection URL” fields.
- Just change /wp-admin into whatever slugs you want to choose for example /login /ex-login etc
- In Redirection URL field just type 404
That’s it your WordPress website is 50% safe from hackers.
Thanks For Reading